I say my first because I want to do more. I never thought I'd be saying that. I never thought I could be so proud of myself. I used to hear of people running that and thinking no way. But I did it!!
I woke up August 22nd at 4:30am. I got ready made myself a half bagel. Dave had made me coffee. What a sweetheart..
Whitney and I were on our way by 4:50am. We got up to Park City found the place we were suppose to go. While waiting in line for the packet. I ran into Tara Lowe. She was running the full marathon. She was so pumped her enthusiasm was contagious.
We put on our chip and went outside. It was freezing. Right away we both had to pee. Luckily there was port a potties everywhere. And they had plenty of toilet paper in them. And a place to wash your hand and hand sanatizer. I was so happy.
It seemed like time went by so fast. Before I knew it, it was time for the marathoners to get in line. We halfers cheered them on. I cheered Tara by name..
Then 10 minutes later it was our turn. I felt so nervous and excited. Then we were off. I was surprised how many people me and Whitney were passing.
As I came around a corner I saw Dave and Cody waiting on the side yelling and cheering. It was such a boost.
I was talking to Whitney and we had probably gone 2 miles or so. And she says go on without me I need to stretch. (Later she tells me she did this because she didn't want to hold me back).
So, off I went on my own. Trying not to go too fast. I was worrying about burning myself out. I can't believe how good and strong I felt.
On about mile mark 5 maybe 6 there were these funny little metal art things on the side of the trail. I started talking to a girl about them. I ran with her for about a mile. She was 25 from New York and the altitude was killing her. After running with her she told me to go on ahead that she wasn't able to keep up with me.
So again I was by myself. Listening to Dave's ipod. It was up hill for about the first 7 miles. I probably wasn't making that good of time at that point. At the turn around point I saw Whitney. She had almost caught up to me.
The run down felt a bit easier. Until about mile 10. My legs started feeling it a little bit but not bad.
I saw I sign at one of the water stations a girl was holding "FINISH STRONG". That is when I saw my AWESOME family cheering me on. I can't describe to you the boost that gives you knowing your family is there. I smacked all the kids hands as I passed. And listened the the people behind me saying how cute that was..
It seemed like those last 3 miles took forever. And when I came around the bend and saw the finish line "Finish Strong" came into my head and I sprinted to the finish line. I finished strong!!
I came in at 1.59.45. Two hours was my goal and I made that with only 15 seconds to spare. Whitney came in a 2.09. Which was so good. She had a hurt IT band and still made that time.
Also I read on line later that, that is one of the harder 1/2 marathons and marathon because of how much up hill there is in it.
I felt bad about my time until I heard that. I'm proud of my time. Now I can beat that on my next 1/2..
Whitney is trying to get me to run a full marathon next year. She says I run so well that I should do it.
Who knows first I'll see how I do with another 1/2. I want to keep up the running. It may be one thing I may be good at. I feel so STRONG when I run. I can feel my body getting stronger. Running is getting easier for me. I am falling in love with it :)
I would highly recommend it to anyone. What a GREAT experience!
P.S. Again sorry don't know how to rotate. Just crank your head to the side. LOL.
No comments:
Post a Comment